Alexandra Gardens Ventnor
Alexandra Gardens

Villas fit for Gentlemen

Alexandra Gardens, named after HRH Alexandra, Princess of Wales, is a private road of eight grand villas overlooking the beach and harbour in Ventnor on the south coast of the Isle of Wight.

The villas had, and many still do have to this day, wonderful gothic style carved staircases from the ground up to the second floor with ornate plaster cornicing and magnificent ceiling roses. The ground and first floor front rooms were large with high ceilings, bay windows and magnificent views. Unusually high skirting went round all of the rooms. The main reception rooms had large marble and slate fireplaces. When built they would have been among the finest houses in Ventnor.

Open Heritage Logo

Alexandra Gardens will be open to the public again in 2014. Over two days, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th, there will be guided tours around number 3 and number 5 from 1pm to 5pm each day.

As well as the opportunity to see and hear the story of the street, afternoon tea will be served in the dining room of number 5 featuring home made cakes and scones.

There's more information here.

The local newspaper claimed that Alexandra Gardens was the "gayest place" in Ventnor after the High Street on the day.
Sir Edward Elgar

Elgar's Honeymoon
May 1889

Edward and Alice Elgar spent an idyllic two weeks of their honeymoon staying on the first floor of 3 Alexandra Gardens following their wedding at Brompton Oratory in London.

Mr & Mrs Turney

Rookie hoteliers
September 1947

Mr and Mrs Percy Turney and their young family arrive at 2 Alexandra Gardens following Mr Turney's demob, having previously worked as a sales assistant at the London department store Gamages.

WW2 bombers

World War 2
1939-45

During the Second World War Alexandra Gardens was the home to evacuated school children and troops. The radar station on St Boniface Down meant that the town was a bombing target.

Discuss Alexandra Gardens
Keep in touch

Share your knowledge of Alexandra Gardens with us on our discussion forum.

Theodore Rdley Saunders
The architect - Prolific local architect Theodore Ridley Saunders designed Alexandra Gardens
Ventnor Mill
Ventnor Mill - The story of the mill on the site of Alexandra Gardens from at least the 1300's

Henry Drudge
The builder - Robert Henry Drudge of Drudge and Wheeler built Alexandra Gardens
Alexandra Gardens
For Sale - the houses were finally completed in 1884 but never realised their sale potential
Alexandra Gardens today

In the 21st century the street is undergoing a revival. Between 2006 and 2009 four of the houses have been completely refurbished, improving the street environment. Only two of the houses remain as single units, number 5 is the Windsor Carlton, providing four star Gold Guest Award Accommodation and number 3, Bermuda House, is a large Four Star Gold Award self catering holiday let. It is the owners of these properties who have collaborated with the help of neighbours and the Ventnor and District Local History Society (particular thanks go to Fay Brown) to produce this site.

Please use our Forum to add to our knowledge of this fascinating street, become a Facebook friend, or contact us by e-mail.

© 2014